In addition to NASA’s agency-wide Lessons Learned Information System (LLIS), center- and organization-based repositories offer lessons learned that are specific to centers, mission directorates, organizations, programs, or projects.
NASA Centers and Facilities
Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC)
- Goddard Knowledge Exchange (GKE)(GSFC Only)
The Goddard Knowledge Exchange (GKE) provides links to GSFC and agency knowledge resources and knowledge sharing events.
Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V) Facility
- IV&V Lessons Learned System Level Procedures and Work Instructions(Public)
The purpose of the System Level Procedures and Work Instructions is to establish a consistent and documented method of capturing lessons learned within the NASA IV&V Program. Lessons learned are a means to leverage knowledge sharing and expertise to increase the overall success of the NASA IV&V Program.
Johnson Space Center (JSC)
- JSC Lesson Learned Database (JSC Only)
The JSC CKO team maintains the JSC Lessons Learned Database to accelerate the lessons learned process.
Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC)
- Lesson Learned Distilling Team (NASA Only)
The Lessons Learned Distilling Team supports the Lessons Learned Committee by evaluating lessons learned and determining MSFC-specific recommendations for policy, procedure and practice improvement and actions to infuse the lessons into MSFC culture.
Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate (HEOMD)
- The Critical Knowledge Gateway is a portal featuring NASA videos of broadly applicable lessons learned. (Public)
- Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) Critical Knowledge is a collection of COTS lessons learned videos and documents. (Public)
- International Space Station – Lessons Learned for Space Exploration provides a point-in-time, cumulative summary of key lessons learned derived from the design, fabrication, integration, test, assembly and operations of the International Space Station. (Public)
NASA Engineering and Safety Center
- The NASA Engineering and Safety Center (NESC) provides a forum via the NESC Academy for senior technical experts to teach critical competencies required to effectively accomplish NASA’s mission. The online courses were conducted by discipline experts and provide a unique opportunity to share critical knowledge with broad audiences in a self-paced manner. (Public)
NASA Engineering Network (NEN)
- The NASA Engineering Network hosts NASA’s primary lessons learned database, the Lessons Learned Information System (LLIS), and also contains discipline-focused communities of practice where informal lessons learned are shared. (NASA Only)
NASA History Division (NHD)
- Monographs in Aerospace History (SP-4500 Series) is a list of titles published in a NASA History Series that are available for free download. (Public)
NASA Safety Center (NSC)
- System Failure Case Studies examine failures of complex, coupled systems both within and outside NASA. (Public)
Office of Human Capital Management (OHCM)
- Lessons learned process is built into the project plan for every project or team, and topical benchmarking is performed and built into the beginning steps of all project plans.
Office of Safety and Mission Assurance
- The Office of Safety and Mission Assurance hosts a video library that contains lessons from past missions, including Apollo, Challenger and Columbia. (Public)
Scientific and Technical Information (STI)
- The NASA Scientific and Technical Information (STI) Program receives and aggregates STI submissions from across the agency and curates them for public dissemination via the NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) or restricted dissemination (NTRS-R) for use by NASA researchers and scientists. The STI collection includes over 4.5 million records from active research results and historical collections, and includes lessons learned white papers and reports.