SELDP is a comprehensive program that provides leadership development, technical hands-on experience, leadership and technical training, benchmarking, mentoring, and coaching. The program’s basis for design is founded in The Art and Science of Systems Engineering [ Full | Short ], the NASA Systems Engineering Behavior Study, and Behavior Competency Model. The behaviors exhibited by NASA’s highly valued systems engineers fall into five broad themes with associated competencies and their observable behaviors: leadership, attitudes and attributes, communication, problem solving and systems thinking, and technical acumen. Strategic thinking and political savvy are two additional leadership skills identified by NASA’s follow-on study of technical executives and are also covered in SELDP.
SELDP provides systems engineers with an agency-wide perspective, hands-on systems engineering developmental assignments beyond what they can learn and experience at their home centers, advanced leadership skills development, and exposure to innovative government and industry-wide systems engineering concepts.
Since its inception, SELDP has achieved a consistent 90 percent success rate of individuals transitioning into more complex and difficult positions upon returning to their organizations after completion of the program.
- Hands-on Technical Assignments – Hands-on developmental assignments are a core requirement of SELDP. Assignments are 9 months in duration at an assigned Center.
- Leadership Development Workshops – Workshops focus on leadership, attitudes and attributes, communication, political savvy, problem solving, and systems and strategic thinking
- Assessments – Assessment instruments are used to help participants gain a greater understanding of their strengths and areas for development
- Mentoring – All participants are assigned a mentor
- Center and Industry Benchmarks – Benchmarking with other NASA Centers and outside organizations to expand participants understanding/awareness of effective systems engineering and leadership choices
Key Dates and Programs
- February 1, 2018 – Call for Nominations & Assignments
- April 16, 2018 – Nominations & Assignments Due
- June 21, 2018 – Candidate Interviews
- August 27-31, 2018 – SELDP Orientation
- See Core Programs for Leadership Workshop Dates
- Technical assignments round out core SE competencies providing engineers with end-to-end lifecycleexperience
- Exposure to innovative SE Organizations (Government/Industry) drives innovative thinking
- Advanced Leadership Skills Development builds NASA’s future leaders
- Exposure to other NASA Centers breeds understanding, builds relationships, and offers new ways of doing business
- SELDP Retention Rate is 98.4% since inception
- SELDP develops SE Leaders faster than traditional training methods
Core Leadership and Engineering Programs*
- Leading from the Inside Out (Orientation) – August 27-31, 2018 at SSC
- Hands-on Technical Assignments – 9 Month Assignments at Assigned Center
- Leading for Results – November 5-9, 2018 at AMES
- Leading with Strengths and Powerful Dialogue – January 21-25, 2019 at KSC
- Leading through Powerful Communication – March 11-15, 2019 at JSC
- Leading in a Dynamic Environment – May 13-23, 2019 at MSFC
- Leading with Presence (Re-entry) – August 19-23, 2019 at JPL
- Using your Leadership Voice (Graduation) – October 21-25, 2019 at HQ
* Dates subject to change