"Provided a comprehensive overview of contracting phases."
Project managers, contract managers and other professionals involved in the world of contracts must be able to work effectively together and with customers, contractors and subcontractors to accomplish key organizational objectives. Because contracts are developed in an increasingly complex environment, including the rising use of contracted supplies and services throughout government and industry, a solid understanding of the contracting process is critical and can give you an advantage whether you are on the buyer’s or seller’s side. Participants receive an overview of all phases of contracting, from requirements development to closeout and discuss how incentives can be used to improve contract results. This course explores these vital issues from the manager’s perspective, highlighting key roles and responsibilities to give participants greater influence over how work is performed. The course will also cover actions that can be taken to help ensure that contractors or subcontractors perform as required under the contract.
Project managers, contract managers, and other professionals that deal with contracts. Mid-level course audience and skill level.
Project Management Competencies
- PM 2.0 - Stakeholder Management
- PM 4.0 – Acquisition Management
- PM 7.0 – Risk Management
- PM 12.0 – Contract Management
- C 4.2 - Communication
Click here to view full competency model.
|NASA Source Selection Guide||Document|
|Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) (Public)||Website|
|Defense Acquisition University (DAU) Training Opportunities (Public)||Website|
Critical Knowledge Resources
|Goddard Search Repository: Case Studies (Public)||Website|
|NASA Lessons Learned Information System (Public)||Website|
APPEL Library Resources
|NASA Galaxie Library||Books 24x7 Library|
All supplemental resources are NASA accessible only unless otherwise noted.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify contract components and understand the process from start to finish
- Select the right contract type for your project
- Decipher contract legalese
- Choose the offer that will result in the best value for the government
- Agree on objectives, requirements, plans and specifications
- Negotiate favorable terms and make revisions to the contract
- Apply rules of contract interpretation in project disputes
- Administer contracts appropriately, and know when and how to terminate before or upon completion