"An excellent overview of both project management and NASA specific fundamentals. The center specific information is very useful as well."
Filter by Category: NASA Fundamentals NASA Fundamentals
Filter by Category: Program / Project Management Program / Project Management
This three-day course will provide a comprehensive overview of the practices and processes specific with the NASA Project Management Lifecycle in conjunction with policies as detailed in NPR 7120.5 - NASA Space Flight Program and Project Management Requirements and NPR 7120.8 - Research and Technology Program and Project Management Requirements. The goal of the course is to help a NASA Project Manager identify, recognize and develop the expertise they will need to ensure mission success through the effective utilization of accepted project management principles and practices.
This course is designed for members of the NASA technical workforce responsible for the planning, execution, control, and closeout of NASA programs and projects. Newly appointed Project Managers and rising technical professionals who wish to become familiar with NASA Project Management principles and practices are encouraged to attend.
Project Management Competencies
- PM 3.0 - Requirements Development and Management
- PM 5.0 - Project Planning
- PM 10.0 - Project Lifecycle
- PM 14.0 - Tracking/Trending of Project Performance
- PM 15.0 - Project Control
- PM 16.0 - Project Review and Evaluation
- PM 18.0 - Decommissioning/Disposal and Archival of Data
- C 1.1 - Agency Structure, Mission, and Internal Goals
- C 1.2 - NASA Project Management/Systems Engineering Procedures and Guidelines
- C 4.2 - Communication
- C 5.1 - Knowledge Capture and Transfer
- C 5.2 - Knowledge Sharing
Click here to view full competency model.
|Schedule Management Handbook||Website|
|NASA Risk-Informed Decision Making Handbook||Website|
|Systems Engineering Handbook||Website|
|NASA Space Flight Program and Project Management Handbook||Website|
|NASA/SP-2011-3422, NASA Risk Management Handbook||Website|
|Cost Estimating Handbook||Website|
|NASA Technical Standards||Website|
|NASA NPDs and NPRs can be found on NODIS||Website|
APPEL Library Resources
|NASA Galaxie Library||Books 24x7 Library|
All supplemental resources are NASA accessible only unless otherwise noted.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe project management and provide an overview of how the NASA project life cycle interfaces with systems engineering, technology acquisition, and logistical support
- Explain how stakeholders drive requirements and project selection within the Pre-Formulation phase
- Describe the Formulation phase to include project teams, the work breakdown structure (WBS), risk management, life-cycle logistics, and the integrated master schedule (IMS)
- Discuss project performance analysis and reporting during the Implementation phase
- Close out a project effectively